Monday, August 11, 2008

Thing 10

Wikis-

Great tool for libraries, learning communities, and for personal use. I think it is a bit more work to set one up than I would like to do for a camping trip, but I can see where it would be helpful when planning something big like a class reunion or family reunion. We currently use a Wiki in our library amongst the library staff. It is great for cooridinating schedules, posting reference desk schedules, and organizing projects. I like the ease having the information in one place rather than scanning back over a variety of emails.

As far as professors banning Wikipedia as a source for research... I think Wikipedia is an OK source to get your bearings on a subject and possibly find some quality links to other sites that might be helpful (if you know how to evaluate the credibility of a website). But I have to agree that with the plethora quality of information available at our fingertips, Wikipedia really doesn't need to be included in the list of works cited. There are too many other options available to us. And- in the process of discovering the other information, we discover how to be better researchers.

No comments: